Friday, November 23, 2012

A Week into CD...

So we've been in cloth diapers for a week now, and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised.  First of all, dirty diapers that would have easily been blowouts in disposable diapers were completely contained.... which means no yellow stains on their clothes!  (One dirty diaper was in a brand spankin' new white sleeping gown, it's still pristine white)  Another wonderful outcome is that we've only had minor leaks... sometimes our fault (note: always tuck the prefold completely into the cover, otherwise their clothes will wick moisture from the prefold).  I'm also thrilled to say that it really isn't too much work as opposed to regular disposable diapers.

I keep the girls in prefolds during the day and change them before every feed, unless they're fussy in which case they get an extra diaper change.  With prefolds, diaper changes have just a few extra steps from a regular diaper change.
1) Take off the cover
2) Place the prefold and liner in the diaper pail
3) Wipe (I'm using cloth wipes, too... I just spray a solution onto a little wash cloth, wipe and then toss in with the dirty diapers)
4) Put on the new prefold and Snappi in place
5) Replace the cover
It takes a few days to get the hang of it, getting used to the Snappi and getting the general setup in place, but now it feels pretty comparable to a disposable diaper change.  Wet diapers go right into the diaper pail, no fuss, no muss.  Dirty diapers get rinsed out before going into the diaper pail, since the girls are breastfed their dirty diapers are pretty tame.  People who don't have kids will probably think, "Wow, she's way too involved with baby poop."  Truth is, getting pooped ON while changing a disposable was worse than rinsing out a soiled diaper.

Anyways... at night I tend to use the AIO's and pockets, just because it's one less step in the middle of the night.  When I do laundry I sort and stuff all the diapers, so they're sitting in the changing table just ready to be put on a baby.  I've figured out already which diapers I like more than others...

Grovia AIO: I initially thought I liked the side snaps... well, I can tell you they're a pain in the butt in the middle of the night.  Plus, because of the inserts and the way the extra fabric of the snap flap folds, you have to make sure the insert is closest to the baby, and the flap is on the outside of the insert.

Charlie Banana: I said I didn't like the fact that this doesn't have a rise adjustment, but I realized while using it that the elastic in the leg is adjustable, which helps with rise.  Another thing I like about Charlie Banana is that for the price, it's a pretty good deal.  This is a $20 diaper that comes with two inserts, the smaller being good for younger babies, the larger for larger babies and doubling up for naps or overnights.  Another nice thing, these diapers are widely available and sell in packs of 6.

BumGenius 4.0: I'm torn as to whether or not I really like Aplix (velcro).  On one hand, it's much easier to put on and get a nice snug fit without having to re-adjust snaps.  On the other hand, it's an extra step to make sure the velcro is folded in on the laundry tabs.  Also, since I've only been using them for a week, I have NO idea how they wear in the long run.  I think the price is also compelling me to want to love this diaper... I mean, it's $18 a piece!

TotsBots: One of my favorites... It's a great diapers, the ease of the velcro and not having to stuff inserts after doing laundry is wonderful.  In the middle of the night this is one of the first diapers I reach for.  One downside is this seems to be a UK company, so only certain types of TotsBots are available in the US.

Swaddlebees:  Just like the TotsBots, this is a really easy to use diaper.  The only thing I have to do after laundry is make sure the insert is positioned straight inside the pocket.  I LOVE the pattern on this diaper, too... it's so cute!  However, I'm trying not to fall in love with this one, because it's a bit pricier. **Update... this is not my favorite diaper.  It takes FOREVER to dry.  Based on the price, I'm not too upset about not loving this diaper.

Flips cover:  Officially my favorite cover.  I'm immediately buying more of these covers (luckily they're on sale for Cyber Monday, buy one get one free).  They contain messes SO well and fit the girls.  I also like that they're wonderful now while I'm folding the prefolds in place, but when the girls are a little bigger I can simply place the prefold inside the cover without having to wrap it around the girls.  Double duty!

Rumparooz: No really dirty diapers yet, so I still don't know how that double gusset will clean up... but this diaper is winning me over.  It's a great fit, comes with two different sized R6 Soaker inserts AND is locally made in Colorado.  I will gladly pay two extra dollars to a company that makes their products in the good ole US of A!

Kissaluvs: This diaper doesn't fit yet... so no review.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment