Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cloth Diapering... The Beginning

So I'm on day 3 of cloth diapering... I had intended to try and cloth diaper from the start, but we were given Preemie and Newborn size disposables, plus I was dealing with the blood clots.  I tried a few times to use the cloth diapers, but when they were still under 8 pounds they leaked right out of the leg holes.  With all that behind us, we've moved on and are successfully cloth diapering.

We're using Green Mountain Diaper prefolds and a variety of covers: Flips, Econobum and Thirsties.  I can tell you right now, I already like the Flip covers much better than the other two.  The Flip covers seem to be a bit sturdier, I like the double snaps along the waistline as opposed to a single snap on the Econobum and Thirsties.
From left to right, Econobum, Flips, Thirsties

Our first overnight with cloth diapers we actually reverted back to disposables, because I knew Avery would wake up every time she felt the least bit wet... she's very sensitive to a wet diaper.  (I'm really hoping this means she'll be quick with potty training)  So after doing some research I went to JoAnn's and bought some microfleece.  I got two yards worth of fabric, which ended up totaling about $15.  I just cut it into sections that will cover their diaper area and then place the cloth diaper on like normal. 
This is the Microfleece liner (the pattern was on sale) and it basically has two benefits: 1) it has a wicking property which helps to draw the moisture away from their skin, letting them FEEL dry, and 2) it will collect the dirty messes a little better which will make cleaning a bit easier.

Now on to the NEW cloth diapers!  I've managed to acquire quite a few different types of diapers, ranging from fitted, covers, AIO's and pockets.  I took pictures of each type both closed and opened, and I'll go through each diaper and what I think of it (before actually using them).  My plan is to use the whole variety and figure out which ones I like best, and then build up a stash based on that.

 Ok, the first set... from left to right, Swaddlebees, Rumparooz and Kissaluvs

 Swaddlebees: This is an All-in-One diaper, it has a soaker insert that is sewn into the diaper, supposedly the agitator in the washer will pull out the soaker and help get it clean.  This diaper has a more natural fiber that lays against the skin.  I also LOVE the pattern, but this is one of the more expensive diapers.

Rumparooz: This is a pocket diaper that comes with two microfiber inserts that snap in all different sorts of ways.  Options are great, but I can tell this is going to be time consuming to snap the soakers to accomodate my needs.  It also has a double leg gusset, which may be good, or may be bad.  I can see the good side; it will help keep messes contained, but I can aslo see this being a huge pain to clean.

Kissaluvs: This is an All-in-One diaper that also has an attached soaker.  Just like the Swaddlebees, the soaker should get pulled out and cleaned while in the washer.  The thing I already like about the Kissaluvs is the interior color, the beige fabric will hide stains much better than bright white.

Next set, from left to right: Charlie Banana, BumGenius 4.0, Grovia AIO


 Charlie Banana:  This is a pocket diaper that comes with two soakers and has a microfleece lining.  I didn't realize when I purchased this diaper that it doesn't have a rise adjustment, so we'll see how that works with the girls.

BumGenius 4.0: This is a pocket diaper that comes with two microfiber soakers.  The interesting thing about the inserts with this diaper is that they can be snapped together to localize absorption.  Just like the Rumparooz, this may be time consuming to do after every laundry load.  This is also one of the hook and loop (velcro) diapers.  There are tabs for the closures at the top to keep the velcro from catching while in the wash.  Most of my stash is snaps, but I wanted to make sure I try some hook and loops, too.  I'm hoping I like this diaper, because it's the least expensive of the bunch.

Grovia AIO:  This is an All-in-One diaper that has one attached soaker, and an additional soaker that can be snapped in.  I like the print on this diaper, I also like the snaps on the side.  Just like the Kissaluvs, I think the cream color will be less likely to show stains.

Next batch: from left to right... Happy Heiney, Grovia Cover, Tots Bots (Thanks Holly!!)




Happy Heiney: This is a pocket diaper that didn't come with any soakers.  To use this diaper I'll have to use one of the other soakers OR insert a prefold.

Grovia Cover: This is a diaper cover, I'd have to use a Grovia soaker, which has a cover that's ok to touch baby's skin (microfiber soakers are stuffed into pockets and don't lay against the skin, the Grovia soakers have a different top layer)

TotsBots: This is an All-In-One diaper, similar to the Kissaluvs and Swaddlebees, this diaper has an attached soaker that tucks under itself to increase absorbency. 

Last batch: Kissaluvs fitted, and two Gdiapers



 Kissaluvs fitted: This is a really soft fitted diaper, it's used just like a prefold... meaning that it still requires a waterproof cover.  It's a little bulky, so I'll probably wait until the girls are a little bigger to use this one.  Also, depending on how I like the Kissaluvs AIO's, I might skip the extra step of adding a cover that the fitted requires.

Gdiapers: While these are incredibly cute covers, I'm not sure how I'll like the use of these.  I have to wait a while, as these diapers don't have a rise setting.

So that's the diaper situation up to now.  All of my pockets/AIO's are in the wash as I type and I'm ready to start trying them out.  I've already done one load of prefolds in the laundry, and it really is quite simple.  I'm going to try and have Kevin take a video of the prefold diaper routine, just so I can show how easy it is.  A few extra steps from the disposables, but it's not too much of a hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment